Marjorie St-Jean was part of Groupe Dynamite’s intern cohort in June 2016. Now, one year later, she works within the Dynamite team as a Technical Designer for the denim category.
This spring, Marjorie spoke with students at the recruitment cocktail about her experience at Groupe Dynamite, including some of the following highlights:
Q1: Can you briefly describe your academic background?
My academic career began with the Katimavik program, where I was able to travel and learn about different cultures, as well as learn my second language, English. Then, I studied Fashion Design with a masculine specialization at Cégep Marie-Victorin. In order to deepen my knowledge, I pursued a Bachelor’s degree in Fashion Design and Management at l’École supérieure de mode de Montréal.
Q2: How did you find yourself at Groupe Dynamite?
Following the presentation of the final collections from my university’s end-of-year projects, the recruitment Manager from Groupe Dynamite invited me to present my portfolio at one of the company’s recruitment cocktail events. Following this event, I was accepted to the Design internship program!
Q3: What are the 3 highlights from your internship?
- Stepping out of my comfort zone. During my internship, my mentor let me work independently. This allowed me to quickly learn the tasks that the Design team needed to complete in order to produce the expected results.
- Realizing that my opinion counts! Groupe Dynamite values everyone’s input, no matter their hierarchical status. I was quickly encouraged to share my opinions and learnt to bring my ideas forward with confidence.
- Participating in the company’s creation process. As Designers, we have a concrete influence on the creative process at Groupe Dynamite. It’s extremely inspiring!
Q4: What role do you currently occupy at Groupe Dynamite and what does it entail?
I’m currently a Technical Designer for the denim category at Dynamite. My role consists of assisting the Senior Designer in the steps leading up to the creation of different collections. I participate in researching different materials and washes in order to get the ball rolling in the creative process of new denim models.
Q5: As a young grad, how do you feel supported at Groupe Dynamite? What opportunities does the company have to offer to the youngest generation?
We are surrounded by passionate mentors who include us in different projects. This pushes us to want to learn more in order to gain more experience and to bring something new to the table.
Q6: What advice would you give a young grad who’d like to work at GD?
Go for it! It’s an extraordinary opportunity to gain and develop an exceptional array of knowledge in a company filled with passionate people who are open to new ideas.
Q7: In your opinion, what sets Groupe Dynamite apart from other retailers?
It’s a company that constantly wants to surpass itself, that takes risks and is very open.
- The mentor or person who inspires you:My parents, without a doubt!
- Your favourite clothing item/accessory: Trench coat that I bought at Zara
- A place in Montreal where we’d run into you: Met gym
- Your style icon: Victoria Beckham
- Your favourite trend right now:Pink, pink everywhere!
- Your dream destination: Skellig Islands
- The word you use most often: Oh my god!
- In high school, you dreamt of becoming:A fashion designer
- To take your mind off of things, you… go for a run by the water
- Your guilty pleasure:Sewing
Click here to learn more about our Internship Program.