Meet Scott, a rising young leader who was nominated to be part of the Apparel Magazine Top Under 30 Elite. Having demonstrated exceptional abilities in shaping the apparel field, Scott plays a constant role in the development of Groupe Dynamite’s tools and processes and is a key player to the company’s success.
- What’s your moto?
Embrace all opportunities. Be open-minded with everything that comes your way and never say never.
- What is your strongest asset?
Problem solving! I love being able help my colleagues in improving different processes. It’s all about leveraging what already works and building on it to make things better.
- What is your biggest challenge in your role?
Well first off, the environment at Groupe Dynamite is challenging and demanding. But because of that, I feel more involved and able to make a difference and, as a result, I have fun and enjoy my work a lot more. If I had to pick one challenge, I would say that it is to constantly prone to innovate especially in our industry. Because our business changes frequently, we have to adapt to new ways of doing things and set goals on a regular basis. My job encourages me to think outside the box and to seek my own solutions and I love that!
- What is your proudest career moment?
My proudest moment would be when we launched the ERP project, a huge initiative that was going to propel the business to new heights. Being the youngest person on the team at that time and being able to learn so much from my colleagues and leaders was very rewarding. The fact that I saw that initiative come to life was very cool!
What have you learned the most from working at Groupe Dynamite?
Wow – I have learned so much!
First of all, how big the retail fashion industry is! After university, I wanted to work in Marketing. I had just moved to Montreal from the UK and was seeking a job that would help me pay my rent. I had no idea that my 4-week contract at Groupe Dynamite was going to land me my dream job 7 years later! I am passionate about what I do. I am constantly learning and evolving. It is stimulating and rewarding to be given the freedom to think differently and see new possibilities opening up. It all started with a contractual position that was not even related to Marketing!
- Your mentor/person who inspires you: I’ve always been inspired by Richard Branson, I really enjoy how diverse his business interests have been, and how he proactively finds opportunities in the positions he found himself in. Most importantly, my inspiration comes from his ability to draw a positive lesson from the varied outcomes of his endeavours.
- Your favourite clothing item/accessory: A good oxford shirt, you can’t really go wrong with it.
- One place in Montreal where we would run into you: At a restaurant or bar in Monkland Village
- Your style icon: I can’t really say I have enough style to have a style icon! The person with the most influence on my wardrobe is whoever decides what is available when Abercrombie or Hollister has a sale.
- Your favourite trend right now: Wearable technology
- Your dream destination: I really want to go to Japan for the Rugby World Cup in 2019
- The word you use most often: Yes. At least I hope it’s one of the words I use most often.
- In high school, you dreamt of becoming: A Pilot
- To take your mind off of things, you… Play rugby
- Your guilty pleasure: Country music, I listen to it a lot!