Shop around the globe with Amanda
A few lucky people here at Groupe Dynamite are tasked with travelling to the world’s fashion capitals (Paris, London, New York, oh my!) and reporting back with new and fresh ideas to delight our customers.
Amanda, Stylist and Designer for Garage’s Concept team, is one of these lucky people! She travels around the world to work on campaign photo shoots and even styles the featured models. She is tasked with noticing trends and her findings abroad really set the tone for upcoming Garage fashion lines.
Her job is so cool, we decided to ask Amanda a few questions about her travels…
Briefly describe your last trip abroad. Which cities did you visit and what was your mandate?
The last place I travelled to was California. I shot a lookbook with influencers and attended the Coachella music festival, which is always a great time. I was sent to Coachella to style five of our influencers in Garage clothing. Overall, my trip was so inspiring! I got to collaborate with teens, eat amazing food and above all, listen to some of my favourite musicians perform live.
What are the key fashion items in your suitcase you can’t travel without?
- My Coach X Mickey Disney collaboration cross body bag (it’s tiny and the perfect size when you don’t want to lug around a huge purse)
- A few pairs of sneakers
- This isn’t considered a fashion item, but a notepad is a must! I love to write down all things that inspire me when I’m travelling abroad.
- My wireless Sony headphones—they block out all noise which is perfect when I’m travelling on long flights!
What is your go-to airplane outfit?
Oversized hoodie, denim and sneakers. Comfort is key! I always carry a light jacket with me just in case it gets chilly on the plane. I am always dressed super casual and comfy! You will never find me wearing heels on a plane, unless they are platform sandals. 🙂
What are your favourite stores to shop while you’re travelling?
Ouf, I have so many! But I think the ones that stick out the most are Dover Street Market, Made in Earth, the Rose Bowl flea market and Kiliwatch. I remember the first time I walked into Dover Street, my jaw dropped to the floor. It’s one of the most inspiring stores I have ever stepped foot in. It’s very conceptual, great visual installations, and just overall so amazing! Made in Earth specializes in gemstone jewellery. The Rose Bowl flea market is a huge flea market that takes place once a month in LA and you can find such special pieces. Kiliwatch is a fun vintage store located in Paris! Last time I was there, Marc Jacobs had walked in with his stylist to pick out oriental floral prints from vintage kimonos. It’s very inspiring!
Which fashion item have you brought back from your travels that made all your friends envious?
Nothing material. What makes them envious is when I talk to them about travelling to such cool destinations for work such as Iceland, Finland, Alaska or Argentina, etc.
When abroad, what is your favourite…
- Coffee shop? Toby’s Estate in Williamsburg, Brooklyn—not only do they have the best coffee but also the best avocado toast!
- Restaurant? Trishna in London is delicious! Best Indian food I’ve ever eaten!
- Place to get shoes? Hmmm… For heels I love going to the Topshop in London. They have a really wide range of great shoes at affordable prices. For sneakers: Colette in Paris always carries great exclusives that I love to get my hands on… Kith is also one of my faves!
- Place to get inspired? People-watching in every city I go to! There’s nothing more inspiring than people being their unique selves and just dressing how they want! I love that!
What is the number one trend you noticed during your last trip?
MESH MANIA! At Coachella, so many girls were wearing it! On swimsuits, dresses, tees, bra tops! It was literally everywhere!
Who is your favourite fashion designer at the moment?
I love what Stuart Vevers is doing at Coach. He really turned the brand around. The clothes are fun and the styling in his shows is incredible!
If you could only travel to one of two destinations, which would you choose and why?
- New York or L.A.? NYC > everywhere! The vibe, the people… the energy is just so contagious and unlike any other city I’ve been to!
- Paris or London? That’s tough. I love both! Paris is romantic but I would probably have to say London! The fashion is more eclectic, which I love!
- Tokyo or Milan? Haven’t been to any of them yet! I’m dreaming of going to Tokyo though! So many influences and trends come from there so I’d like to explore it and see what it’s all about!
Which destination would you like to eventually add to your itinerary?
Tokyo! I really want to explore Japan and Asian destinations. The fashion, the culture, the food, everything looks so awesome!